This is the place where I say stuff. I promise not that it shall contain nuggets of truth, timeless wisdom, or even be at all sensical. It will most probably also not be witty and urbaine. If it is it's probably by accident. It will however be written by me, be spliced with my poetry and drawings, and it will rock. (maybe)

Friday, July 21, 2006

Yes I'm petty

Hello.

A while back, I was telling some folks, Sam and others,
that the word Bumbershoot, meant umbrella. I was under
the erroneous impression that it was a word of British
origin. It apparently is not. It is however a real word.
I present to you factual evidence, ye doubting thomases you.
This was taken from dictionary.com

1 entry found for bumbershoot.
bum·ber·shoot Audio pronunciation of "bumbershoot" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bmbr-sht)
n.

An umbrella.


[Alteration of umbrella + alteration of (para)chute.]



In addition, wikipedia had this to say, I highlighted the most relevant passage:

Bumbershoot
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Look up bumbershoot in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Bumbershoot is an annual international music and arts festival located in Seattle, Washington. One of America's largest local arts festivals, it takes place every Labor Day weekend at the 74-acre (299,000 m²) Seattle Center, which was built for the 1962 World's Fair. Seattle Center includes indoor theaters, outdoor stages, McCaw Hall, and Memorial Stadium. The name of the festival was taken from Bumbershoot, a colloquial term for umbrella, probably coined in the 19th century as a portmanteau of umbrella and parachute.

Thousands of artists, including musicians, poets, painters, dancers, comedians, clowns, disc jockeys, and more, perform at Bumbershoot in a three-day long adventure of music and art. Originally run by the City of Seattle, the festival adopted its name in 1973, when it attracted 200,000 visitors. For its first two years, it was known as Festival '71 [125,000 visitors] and Festival '72 [175,000 visitors].

Admission was free until 1980, when One Reel took over production duties from the city. The city stopped financing the festival in 1995.


So there. Nyah.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nothing more to say... said...

I got a blog on here now! Add me!

http://anti-almost-everything.blogspot.com

10:48 AM

 
Blogger Nothing more to say... said...

Hey, where have you been!!! How about replying to an email or two!!! Don't tell me you're too busy with school! I know school's out for the summer!

Miss you bro...

10:10 AM

 
Blogger bazooka radio said...

THat bumbershootastic!

I didn't really disbelieve you, but you did get totally shot down hard by an authentic british dude.

11:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home